How to Repair a Roof with a Crack or Split
Roof cracks and splits can be caused by a variety of factors, including weather damage, improper installation, or normal wear and tear over time. While small cracks may not necessarily indicate a serious problem, larger splits or holes in your roof can lead to leaks and water damage if left unrepaired. If you’ve noticed cracks or splits in your roof, it’s important to address them promptly to avoid costly repairs or replacements down the line. Here are the steps to repair a roof crack or split:
- Inspect the crack or split to determine the cause and severity. Examine the area from both inside the attic and outside the roof. Look for signs of water damage or leaks around the crack. Measure the length, width, and depth of the crack to determine how extensive the damage is.
- Clean and prepare the area. Clear away any debris in and around the crack or split. For larger cracks, you may need to widen them slightly so that patching materials can adhere properly. Rough up the surface of the crack with sandpaper so that the patch has something to grip onto.
- Apply roof cement or sealant. For small cracks, you may be able to apply roof cement or sealant and smooth it over the crack to seal and protect it. Follow the directions on the product packaging and apply using a putty knife or other tool. For larger splits or holes, you’ll likely need to use roof flashing or roof panels in addition to sealant.
- Cover the area with roof flashing or panels. For cracks or splits larger than a few inches, cover the area with aluminum or galvanized steel roof flashing and seal it in place with roofing cement. For holes or splits in roof panels, you may need to cut out damaged panels and replace them. Apply sealant around the edges of new panels and secure them according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Inspect the repair and watch for leaks. After completing the repair, inspect the area from inside the attic and outside the roof to ensure it’s sealed properly. Monitor the area for signs of leaks over the next few months, especially after heavy rain or snowfall. If you notice leaks or the crack is getting larger, it’s best to call a professional roofing contractor to assess the damage.
With proper cleaning, sealing, and patching, many roof cracks and splits can be repaired effectively. However, severe or recurring damage often requires professional roof replacement or repair to fix the underlying issues and prevent leaks or collapse. For quality roof repairs and replacements in Hattiesburg, MS, contact Reliable Roofing & Construction. Our licensed contractors have the experience and skills to repair or replace your roof and protect your home for years to come.